Blog Flux MapStats: Stats and Counter for Cooking For One Or Two
]]>
Google
 
Web cookingforone-or-two.blogspot.com
 


« Home | How Does Your Garden Grow? » | A mysterious okra-like pod (bottom left) amongst v... » | Bittermelon pod (4-5 inches in length).  » | Baby bell peppers.  » | A very large globe eggplant, which would fit in my... » | Red (ripe) and green chili peppers  » | A quick-growing bittermelon behind some fragrant b... » | One of several tomato plants growing in a pot or b... » | Oh What A Green Thumb Am I » | Sharing the Cooking - I Get By With A Little Help ... »

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Stretching Your Budget - Thrice-Fried Rice



Thrice - Red bell pepper half stuffed with fried rice. Sprinkle with cheese and pop in the oven for a delicious meal. Thrice-cooked rice. Posted by Picasa

Three recipes from one idea? Sure. Want to learn how to stretch your budget by using the same ingredients, without ending up eating leftovers? Read on.

(1) I started with some very basic ingredients: red bell pepper, shiitake mushrooms (canned okay), onions, green onions, nem nuoung (Vietnamese bbq pork sausage), and a number of flavour enhancers including a dash of sesame oil, crushed red pepper flake, Italian seasoning (or any mix of dried parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil), plus the old standards, salt and fresh-ground black pepper. With these ingredients, I made a stir fry, adding a bit of Oriental black bean paste and a bit of "vegetarian oyster flavoured sauce" (diluted in a 1/4 cup of water). This formed a broth, so I served the dish over steamed rice.

(2) The next day, I had all of the ingredients leftover, including rice. So I made fried rice, adding only beaten egg to the ingredient list. Okay, I mixed in a bit of hot Vietnamese hot chili paste (called sambal oelek in some Asian countries) because I enjoy culinary flame-throwing :)

(3) Realizing I had some leftover fried rice, I spooned it into a bell pepper half and snapped the photo you see at the top of this posting. Although I didn't do this, you can easily add some grated cheese on top, pop it in a pre-heated oven, and enjoy the result with a nice red wine. [However, making one portion is an awful waste of electricity. What you can do is freeze the leftover fried rice until a day when you are using the oven for something else, say a caserole or lasagna for freezing. Just pop in the pepper at the same time.]

Watch my Curry Elvis Cooks blog for these recipes, appearing soon.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj, Kumar Dash, http://cookingforone-or-two.blogspot.com


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 

About me

  • I'm blogslinger
  • From Canada
  • Writer, author, former magazine editor and publisher, amateur photog, amateur composer, online writer/ blogger, online publisher, freelancer


Curry Elvis Cooks Multi-Blog/ Site

Powered for Blogger
by Blogger Templates
Food & Drink Blog Top Sites